I’ve been trying to get a handle on depression, in particular mine.
Breaking it down into the components, it looks like this:
1) a fair measure of melancholy that is part of my basic nature
2) intermittent clinical depression that sweeps in like a sea fret in summer, making everything grey, cold and miserable
3) a hefty dose of hormonal imbalance.
4) a running battle with chronic pain issues(which ought, like #3 be time limited)
5) some pretty difficult events in my life so far that have yet to be dealt with. I keep telling myself I’ll deal with them one day
6) a sneaky possibility that the depression wears a different face and is in fact a variety of bi-polar disorder
Batting on my team of positives are:
1) a sense of humour that verges on the ridiculous
3)strong will and determination
4) the innate belief that my feelings and issues are not any more important than anyone else’s and they don’t need to suffer mine as well as their own.
5) extensive knowledge and experience of natural band-aids to get me through hard times
6) my ability to convey feelings etc in writing.
I’m not even going to touch on my support network of family and friends. I only wanted to include in my list the things that I have any sort of claim to owning, on either side of the battle lines.
So there you have it. Which side are you putting your money on then, if you were a betting man/woman?